Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Harmless Snake, Right?

Andrea and the boys were outside playing when Andrea notice a little "friend" crossing the driveway. She quickly came to tell me the news. The snake was only about a foot long, but not knowing much about snakes, and not wanting it taking up home in my front yard, I decided the whack it in half with my shovel (and to give it a second whack closer to its head after the first one left it with enough body to continue to flee!). I don't think it was poisonous; the only deadly snake I thought it might resemble is a a Copperhead, but my guess is that it was probably a harmless gardener snake. Perhaps one of you knows something about snakes and can set us straight as to what type of snake we found.

It decided to open its mouth wide for the camera. Look at that bloody mess! Poor guy.

4 comments:

Eric and Amy said...

Ewwwww....what a bloody mess. It looked much more frightening in pics than shriveled and dried on your driveway! :) Yikes...I don't like it with the mouth open. Looks like he's trying to eat you alive! Bravo for being so brave ;).

Amber said...

On behalf of the snake I'll just say, "ouch!"

I'm assuming you don't believe in karma? :-)

marc said...

Amber, So that explains my bad lucky lately! ;)

Chelsi said...

Marc, this is your long lost viet buddy Chinh,how are ya. I found your blog through good old Brad Daybell's blog. Looks like things are going good for ya I can't even remember the last time we talked. My wife has set up a blog at dustinandchelsi.blogspot.com. I want to hear from you and see what you've been up to.